Baked Stuffed Shrimp, New Bedford Style…
- 20 jumbo shrimp
- 1 pound linguiça
- 1 sleeve of Ritz Crackers
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- ½ cup minced onions
- ¼ cup chives
- 1 teaspoon chile powder
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 stick melted butter (chop and microwave for 45 seconds is easiest way)
- 2 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ can of beer (Drink the other half immediately so it doesn’t go flat)
- black pepper to taste (you won’t need salt, the crackers have that covered)
- 1 lemon, wedged
Preheat oven to 375.
Melt the single tablespoon of butter in a frying pan and sauté garlic and onions until soft but not browned. Add linguiça and cook over moderate heat for about 5 minutes. Dump into a large mixing bowl. Take the crackers and smash them with your fist, face, a hammer, a small child, a cat, or anything that can be used as a club or blunt home defense weapon. Add the mess to the mixing bowl. Add chives, pepper, and chile powder. Stir in beer, worcestershire, olive oil and melted butter. Mixture should be moist enough to stick together but still a little dry. If too wet, add more crackers. If too dry, add more beer.
Peel and devein shrimp but leave the tail attached. Butterfly cut the shrimp and flatten so that the tail stands up. Mound a spoonful of stuffing onto each flattened shrimp.
Bake 20 minutes or until the stuffing is golden brown.
Serve with lemon wedges.